Sunday, April 15, 2007

Using my horse for transportation

Today Maya and I rode/walked to the NDRC riding grounds for the Spring Clean Up. There was another ride today in Trail the "Fort Sheppherd" ride, but we dont' have a trailer and most everyone else was full... plus, I'm not sure about riding in a big group, yet. I want our relationship stronger before I test it with something of that magnitude. Might not happen this summer, since I'm getting bigger in the belly with a baby and I'm already starting to get a bit more awkward. I nearly tipped over backwards mounting today - sorry Maya.

We walked to Verigin road and then I got on and we rode the rest of the way except on the short paved Blewett road stretch. As far as that goes we did well. Mounting was a bit iffy today, and we worked on it some... but the predator in me is alive and well when riding - and especially when I am running late to the riding grounds. We still took the time it took MOST of the time. I know I can do better for her than that, however.

The ride home was interesting in that she got it in her head that we had to go RIGHT on Marello road instead of LEFT to go home. So up the road we went after a battle (her idea my idea... ) didn't really work, though so I ended up getting off and re-establishing leaderhip on the ground. We passed some spooky lound engines revving on 49 creek road and she was worried a bit, but then we went home pretty well, even passing some horses going the other way - she wanted to go with them, but listed to a relatively soft rein and seat asking her to go towards home.

I got both front feet from the same side with no confusion at all, today. Hind foot after the ride was very reluctant, however. Have to fix that next time. I was too tired.

I am too tired, now - bedtime!

No comments: